Gutters play a vital role in protecting your home and property from the elements. Despite their important role, gutters are often ignored or undervalued by homeowners. Fortunately, consumers are gradually learning about the many ways that gutters help preserve a home’s value and why seamless gutters are a wise option for homeowners. Let’s look at the benefits of replacing your gutters when you replace your roof and some key points to consider during the gutter replacement process.
Why are gutters so important to your home’s maintenance?Gutters do more than simply channel water away from your house. They can help reduce landscape erosion, prevent basement flooding, and minimize water staining. The average gutter funnels over 30,000 gallons of water per year away from your home, outlining the key role that gutters play in protecting your property. The home inspection professionals with Platinum Roofing outline some of the top reasons why gutters are so vital to your home’s maintenance:
- Gutters help avoid costly problems with your home’s foundation
- They help stabilize the soil around your home
- Gutters help protect your landscaping and turf from erosion
- They minimize sidewalk settling and cracking
- Gutters help reduce water staining
What are the benefits of seamless gutters?Seamless gutters are customized to fit your home and contain relatively few joints. In contrast to sectional or seamed gutters, seamless gutters are not built with small sections of gutter that are fastened together. Joints may only be present on the corners of your home, promoting the smooth flow of water and minimizing clogs. While seamless gutters are generally a bit more expensive and time-consuming to install, their long-term advantages make them an attractive option for maintenance-conscious homeowners. Here is a look at the top five benefits of seamless gutters.
1) Fewer leaksLeaks are one of the most common problems that plague standard sectional gutters. In most cases, leaks develop around the joint area where two sections of gutter are joined together. Seamless gutters contain very few joints compared to sectional gutters, thereby helping to reduce the number of leaks and holes.
2) Improved functionalitySeamless gutters are typically customized to match your home’s dimensions and structure. Joints tend to be present only at your roof’s corners and at your downspouts, helping to eliminate problems. Their fluid design also makes it easy for water to flow freely and for your gutters to function as intended.
3) Fewer clogsThe construction of standard sectional or seamed gutters leaves them prone to clogs. Common culprits include leaves, pine needles, twigs, and other debris that can accumulate in your gutters and become lodged in the areas where joints connect and separate. When this debris continues to accumulate, your gutters become clogged and water is unable to flow freely through your gutters. Seamless gutters help to safeguard against clogs because they contain very few joints where clogs are most likely to form.
4) Reduced maintenanceSeamless gutters are attached closer and more firmly to roofs than sectional gutters. This reduces opportunities for debris to clog them or collect in the area between the gutter and the home’s exterior wall. A seamless gutter system will require less cleaning and maintenance than conventional gutters.Fewer leaks and clogs translate into less debris, reduced rusting, and fewer repairs. Additionally, seamless gutters are less likely to attract chipmunks, birds, and other animals that like to take up residence in a clogged gutter.
5) More aesthetically pleasingSeamless gutters contribute to a home’s curb appeal with their aesthetically appealing design. They can be painted to complement your home’s exterior. They can also be ordered an enamel finish that will remain beautiful for years. You can also choose from models made of steel or copper, or simply opt for standard aluminum construction.
What is the best way to introduce seamless gutters to your home or business?As outlined above, there are many reasons to introduce seamless gutters to your home or business. However, not all gutter suppliers are created equal. The best way to ensure that your home’s gutters are durable and installed properly is to seek the guidance of an accomplished roofing specialist who is also skilled in gutter installation. Ideally, a professional roofing company with expertise in gutter placement can install new gutters at the same time they install your new roof. This strategy offers the following advantages:
- A Single Warranty: You receive one warranty that covers both your roof and your gutters
- Ease of Maintenance: Repairs and maintenance on your roof and gutters will be provided by the same company
- Time Savings: Some skilled providers can install a new roof and new gutters in a single visit